1992 Morgan Plus 8

1992 Morgan Plus 8

Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 6- Slept in and Missed Leadfoot- Coromandel to Whitianga

I received this photo from Margaret, with Esther celebrating her 104th birthday. Amazing.
Esther (not on trip) is 104 in UK
This day is kind of a blur to me now, but here goes with the best I can remember.
The original plan was to be at Leadfoot Ranch, a private hill climb, at 11 AM. The night before we found we needed to be there at 0900. Philip said "NO", he wasn't going to get up that early to travel there for 0900. So we "slept in" until 7:30 AM, and everyone else left to go to Leadfoot. So I know nothing about Leadfoot.
The original plan was to take the 309 road, which made the trip to Whitianga quite short and beautiful through the bush. But the road is mostly gravel, so Philip said "NO". So we took the longer route up over the hill and around the top of the Peninsula, although it wasn't a terribly long ride.

View from the top


Driving toward Whitianga

Noticed the large fern trees



Susan and Patsy (photo by Michael)
 We arrived in Whitianga, checked into our motel, and headed to town for lunch. We had the largest, best hamburger so far in NZ, and I thought I took a photo, but cannot find it.
By this time, everyone had returned from Leadfoot so people are wandering around the town.
Michael continues to have problems connecting with his iPad Mini and connecting with his phone and sending email from his hotmail account. He is very frustrated for many days trying to sort this all out.
Michael and his Devices
Callie and Colin refuel
I believe we found the grocery store, NEW WORLD, and collected some items for cocktail hour, although I cannot remember having a cocktail hour.
Dinner was at SQUIDS, where I had delicious asian soup (thought I had a photo of this as well??)

So that is what I remember about this day…. sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, when you mentioned Leadfoot, I thought you were referring to lead-footed drivers and was looking forward to a description of the race! Speaking of races, the women athletes in snowboarding (slopestyle) and skiing are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete